Don’t worry, Booth readers: on lead EP single Humble’s the New Cocky, K. Sparks isn’t suggesting rap transition from a braggadocio-based paradigm to a competition for who can be the most passive-aggressively modest. (Not unlike your average family dinner in my home state, the infamously “nice” Minnesota.) In fact, I’m forced to assume that the reader fave has a very different idea of what the word “modest” does than myself, or the dictionary, or anyone I’ve met, because the record packs all the tightly-wound braggadocio and trash-talk we’ve come to expect from the Queens flame-spitter. Introducing his beat with as campy snippet from Adam West’s classic Batman series, project collaborator iLL Sugi flips a warm vibraphone sample as the frestyle series alum bombards the competition with an onslaught of fresh and unpredictable lyrical barbs. Notably, he takes a shot at the increasing number of Big Apple emcees stepping outside their region: “A lot of New York rappers be soundin’ Down South / Soundin’ like a clown mouth, n*gga shut your damn mouth.” Feeling this head-noddable (and not remotely humble) lead effort? More dopeness awaits on Sparks and Sugi’s September Lounge EP, available here for digital purchase.
Written by richard on 06/14/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.