As you must already know, June is a huge month for new album releases. J. Cole, Kanye and Mac Miller are all set to drop their latest LPs on 6/18, and a week later Wale’s The Gifted hits literal and digital shelves. In an effort to additionally help stuff your iPod full of new tunes, K. Sparks has moved up the release date of his Self Portrait album from the end of summer to its beginning. With crisp cuts like HTNC (Humble’s The New Cocky) it’s no wonder he is so eager to share the project with his fans earlier than expected. Backed by Kurser’s minimalist, briskly paced beat, Sparks speeds things up, educating listeners on the differences between him and your average emcee. His guest, Angelous, impresses too, displaying a higher pitched flow and a very interesting cadence. With a different state of mind (HTNC) and a different release date strategy—actually moving up a release date—K. Sparks is definitely in a league of his own.
Written by Lucas G. on 06/7/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.