In hip-hop we always hear about new school vs. old school. K. Sparks prefers a third option, however, which incorporates elements from both. On Home School, the first single of his upcoming album, the Queens native and regular Booth featuree combines a lively, colorful flow and vibe (new school) with a socially aware lyrics and a more casual, yet effective beat (old school) . Backed by the guitar-based, head-nodding production from frequent collaborator Kurser, Sparks and guest emcee Paul Rivers Bailey tackle the ills of the American school system. Both have a similarly charismatic approach, splashed with just a dab of ruggedness, which makes the message perfectly packaged to please the ears of earnest listeners. Home School is the lead single from Self Portrait, Sparks’ next full-length album, due out in August.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/12/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.