As I see it, there are remixes, and then there are remixes. What’s the difference, you ask, other than one being in italics? I haven’t decided yet; I just said that because it sounded smart. Whenever I get around to drawing up the criteria, though, you can bet that Mind Elevation, the first leak off K. Sparks and Kurser‘s A Day in the Life remix LP, will fall on the in-italics side of the equation – it just has that creative oomph. Here, the French producer pulls off one of the most dramatic makeovers I’ve heard in a minute, trading the original’s spacey throwback groove for a bass-booming dancehall beat. Those familiar with Sparks’ eclectic track record won’t be surprised to find that the longtime Booth fave comes off just as dope over the revamped instrumental; nor should fans of guest Cymarshall Law be surprised that the Jersey-based emcee, whose style draws upon his Caribbean roots, sounds like he was born to rhyme over this beat. Is the result better than the (non-featured) original? That’s for you to decide. Either way, more dopeness awaits on Kurser’s forthcoming remix suite, due out Dec. 7. (The original album, of course, is still available online).
Written by richard on 11/30/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.