As I see it, there are remixes, and then there are remixes. What’s the difference, you ask, other than one being in italics? I haven’t decided yet; I just said that because it sounded smart. Whenever I get around to drawing up the criteria, though, you can bet that Mind Elevation, the first leak off K. Sparks and Kurser‘s A Day in the Life remix LP, will fall on the in-italics side of the equation – it just has that creative oomph. Here, the French producer pulls off one of the most dramatic makeovers I’ve heard in a minute, trading the original’s spacey throwback groove for a bass-booming dancehall beat. Those familiar with Sparks’ eclectic track record won’t be surprised to find that the longtime Booth fave comes off just as dope over the revamped instrumental; nor should fans of guest Cymarshall Law be surprised that the Jersey-based emcee, whose style draws upon his Caribbean roots, sounds like he was born to rhyme over this beat. Is the result better than the (non-featured) original? That’s for you to decide. Either way, more dopeness awaits on Kurser’s forthcoming remix suite, due out Dec. 7. (The original album, of course, is still available online).
Written by richard on 11/30/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.