For all the “pimpin’” talk in hip-hop, few rappers are compassionate or brave enough to look at the situation from the prostitute’s point of view; often driven into the line of work by desperate poverty, the women face constant physical danger and abuse with little hope of legal recourse. On the first official single off his forthcoming mixtape with beatsmith Payozo (formerly known as Pajozo), K. Sparks bucks that trend, giving us a window into the daily struggles of a streetwalker named Clair. Backed by his colleague’s dreamy sample work, a seamless collage of chopped vocals, keys and radiant bell flourishes, the Queens phenom and freestyle series alum trades his usual, head-spinning style for hard-hitting reportage. In vivid verses, he describes the title character being harassed by her pimp, while her “coworkers” stand by and watch, before offering a little insight into the past experiences that brought her to that point. While Sparks and Payozo’s forthcoming set is as-yet unscheduled and untitled, fans can hear more from the emcee on his past DJBooth-sponsored projects, Diagnosis: Success, The Trilogy: Chapter 1 and Super Senior.
Written by richard on 04/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.