For all the “pimpin’” talk in hip-hop, few rappers are compassionate or brave enough to look at the situation from the prostitute’s point of view; often driven into the line of work by desperate poverty, the women face constant physical danger and abuse with little hope of legal recourse. On the first official single off his forthcoming mixtape with beatsmith Payozo (formerly known as Pajozo), K. Sparks bucks that trend, giving us a window into the daily struggles of a streetwalker named Clair. Backed by his colleague’s dreamy sample work, a seamless collage of chopped vocals, keys and radiant bell flourishes, the Queens phenom and freestyle series alum trades his usual, head-spinning style for hard-hitting reportage. In vivid verses, he describes the title character being harassed by her pimp, while her “coworkers” stand by and watch, before offering a little insight into the past experiences that brought her to that point. While Sparks and Payozo’s forthcoming set is as-yet unscheduled and untitled, fans can hear more from the emcee on his past DJBooth-sponsored projects, Diagnosis: Success, The Trilogy: Chapter 1 and Super Senior.
Written by richard on 04/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.