For all the “pimpin’” talk in hip-hop, few rappers are compassionate or brave enough to look at the situation from the prostitute’s point of view; often driven into the line of work by desperate poverty, the women face constant physical danger and abuse with little hope of legal recourse. On the first official single off his forthcoming mixtape with beatsmith Payozo (formerly known as Pajozo), K. Sparks bucks that trend, giving us a window into the daily struggles of a streetwalker named Clair. Backed by his colleague’s dreamy sample work, a seamless collage of chopped vocals, keys and radiant bell flourishes, the Queens phenom and freestyle series alum trades his usual, head-spinning style for hard-hitting reportage. In vivid verses, he describes the title character being harassed by her pimp, while her “coworkers” stand by and watch, before offering a little insight into the past experiences that brought her to that point. While Sparks and Payozo’s forthcoming set is as-yet unscheduled and untitled, fans can hear more from the emcee on his past DJBooth-sponsored projects, Diagnosis: Success, The Trilogy: Chapter 1 and Super Senior.
Written by richard on 04/11/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)