For K. Sparks, being “Black” is about more than a simple quantity of melanin (or a penchant for absorbing light rays). It’s shorthand for an entire state of mind, a drive to succeed, an intimate familiarity with the struggle and a steely determination to get what’s yours and protect the same. Fresh off earning high reader praise for Harlem Renaissance-themed banger The Cotton Club, the perennial Booth fave returns to offer an expressionistic account of what the color means to him on his second feature of the year. Past beatsmith collaborator Payozo mans the boards on this freshly-released promo single, serving up a smooth synth instrumental accented with a vocal snippet from Biggie‘s classic Sky’s the Limit (“To protect my position, my corner, my layer…”) as the Queens phenom laces the beat with witty, intricately-rhymed lyrical flames. Notably, he takes the opportunity to call out some former business associates, spitting, “‘Worst Deal I Ever Signed’ Award goes to Fat Beats.” Like what you’re hearing? While Sparks has yet to announce any forthcoming projects for 2012, you’d better believe we’ll be keeping you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.