For K. Sparks, being “Black” is about more than a simple quantity of melanin (or a penchant for absorbing light rays). It’s shorthand for an entire state of mind, a drive to succeed, an intimate familiarity with the struggle and a steely determination to get what’s yours and protect the same. Fresh off earning high reader praise for Harlem Renaissance-themed banger The Cotton Club, the perennial Booth fave returns to offer an expressionistic account of what the color means to him on his second feature of the year. Past beatsmith collaborator Payozo mans the boards on this freshly-released promo single, serving up a smooth synth instrumental accented with a vocal snippet from Biggie‘s classic Sky’s the Limit (“To protect my position, my corner, my layer…”) as the Queens phenom laces the beat with witty, intricately-rhymed lyrical flames. Notably, he takes the opportunity to call out some former business associates, spitting, “‘Worst Deal I Ever Signed’ Award goes to Fat Beats.” Like what you’re hearing? While Sparks has yet to announce any forthcoming projects for 2012, you’d better believe we’ll be keeping you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.