For K. Sparks, being “Black” is about more than a simple quantity of melanin (or a penchant for absorbing light rays). It’s shorthand for an entire state of mind, a drive to succeed, an intimate familiarity with the struggle and a steely determination to get what’s yours and protect the same. Fresh off earning high reader praise for Harlem Renaissance-themed banger The Cotton Club, the perennial Booth fave returns to offer an expressionistic account of what the color means to him on his second feature of the year. Past beatsmith collaborator Payozo mans the boards on this freshly-released promo single, serving up a smooth synth instrumental accented with a vocal snippet from Biggie‘s classic Sky’s the Limit (“To protect my position, my corner, my layer…”) as the Queens phenom laces the beat with witty, intricately-rhymed lyrical flames. Notably, he takes the opportunity to call out some former business associates, spitting, “‘Worst Deal I Ever Signed’ Award goes to Fat Beats.” Like what you’re hearing? While Sparks has yet to announce any forthcoming projects for 2012, you’d better believe we’ll be keeping you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.