If you came up in a breakfast cereal-consuming household, you’re well-acquainted with the mystery that lies at the heart of Kellogg’s Apple Jacks: though delicious, they taste absolutely nothing like apples. (Don’t even get me started on Juicyfruit gum.). Thus, it’s oddly appropriate that K. Sparks’ latest album leak (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) has nearly nothing to do with the titular product—though the Jacks do get a tangential mention in a sampled backstage quip from Jay-Z. In any case, the record does come packed with everything you need to jump-start your morning (or afternoon, or night). With Moe Productions’ sparse, gritty sample work as his canvas, the perennial Booth fave attacks the mic in characteristically ferocious fashion, mixing pure lyrical aggression with thoughtful social commentary. Introduced to Sparks via DJBooth, ATL phenom Jarren Benton performs a thematic hijacking on the back end (“K. Sparks, I’m turnin’ this into a horror song”) channeling a little early Slim Shady as he rattles off an impressive chronicle of antisocial behavior. Digging this eclectically dope collab? More fresh cuts await on Sparks’ Booth-sponsored Destination: Success LP, set to drop Sept. 19.
Written by richard on 08/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)