If you came up in a breakfast cereal-consuming household, you’re well-acquainted with the mystery that lies at the heart of Kellogg’s Apple Jacks: though delicious, they taste absolutely nothing like apples. (Don’t even get me started on Juicyfruit gum.). Thus, it’s oddly appropriate that K. Sparks’ latest album leak (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) has nearly nothing to do with the titular product—though the Jacks do get a tangential mention in a sampled backstage quip from Jay-Z. In any case, the record does come packed with everything you need to jump-start your morning (or afternoon, or night). With Moe Productions’ sparse, gritty sample work as his canvas, the perennial Booth fave attacks the mic in characteristically ferocious fashion, mixing pure lyrical aggression with thoughtful social commentary. Introduced to Sparks via DJBooth, ATL phenom Jarren Benton performs a thematic hijacking on the back end (“K. Sparks, I’m turnin’ this into a horror song”) channeling a little early Slim Shady as he rattles off an impressive chronicle of antisocial behavior. Digging this eclectically dope collab? More fresh cuts await on Sparks’ Booth-sponsored Destination: Success LP, set to drop Sept. 19.
Written by richard on 08/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All That Jazz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.