Despite a wealth of talent and drive (see her last DJBooth-approved feature Fallin), Memphis crooner K. Michelle has struggled to move forward with her debut album Pain Medicine. But now that none other than R. Kelly has signed on to executive produce the album, nothing but bright skies should lie ahead. The first proof of Michelle and Kelly’s collaborative efforts comes in the form of the new single I Just Can’t Do This, a deeply soulful cut built around lush, classic R&B production from Kelly, who also wrote the track. Thankfully, Michelle is far from outshined by The Pied Piper’s contributions as she delivers a dynamic, captivating vocal performance that should draw immediate comparisons to Keyshia Cole; not because they sound alike, but because they both are capable of injecting passionate emotion into their voices. I don’t know what to tell you. If you’re not feeling this, you might not have a soul - and if K. Michelle keeps putting out tracks like Can’t Do This, it’s only a matter of time before we have some Pain Medicine to ease what ails us.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/23/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Go On" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.