I must have a dirty mind, because when I hit “play” on K-Hill‘s latest single, I was fully expecting to hear the First in Flight State rapper, producer and CEO brag about his oral skills for three-and-a-half minutes. Much to my shock and amazement, though, Power of the Tongue II is about nothing of the sort. Instead, the record is an incisive examination of the ways in which words and images produced by hip-hop come to affect reality. Over Analogic‘s soul-sampled production, the artist reminds us of the many occasions on which rappers’ lives have imitated their art, landing them in prison—or, if they’re less lucky, in an early grave. For Power of the Tongue II and much more, check out K-Hill’s Achilles Hill EP when it drops digitally next week, February 26.
Written by richard on 02/19/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Covenant" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.