I must have a dirty mind, because when I hit “play” on K-Hill‘s latest single, I was fully expecting to hear the First in Flight State rapper, producer and CEO brag about his oral skills for three-and-a-half minutes. Much to my shock and amazement, though, Power of the Tongue II is about nothing of the sort. Instead, the record is an incisive examination of the ways in which words and images produced by hip-hop come to affect reality. Over Analogic‘s soul-sampled production, the artist reminds us of the many occasions on which rappers’ lives have imitated their art, landing them in prison—or, if they’re less lucky, in an early grave. For Power of the Tongue II and much more, check out K-Hill’s Achilles Hill EP when it drops digitally next week, February 26.
Written by richard on 02/19/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Covenant" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.