I must have a dirty mind, because when I hit “play” on K-Hill‘s latest single, I was fully expecting to hear the First in Flight State rapper, producer and CEO brag about his oral skills for three-and-a-half minutes. Much to my shock and amazement, though, Power of the Tongue II is about nothing of the sort. Instead, the record is an incisive examination of the ways in which words and images produced by hip-hop come to affect reality. Over Analogic‘s soul-sampled production, the artist reminds us of the many occasions on which rappers’ lives have imitated their art, landing them in prison—or, if they’re less lucky, in an early grave. For Power of the Tongue II and much more, check out K-Hill’s Achilles Hill EP when it drops digitally next week, February 26.
Written by richard on 02/19/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Covenant" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.