I must have a dirty mind, because when I hit “play” on K-Hill‘s latest single, I was fully expecting to hear the First in Flight State rapper, producer and CEO brag about his oral skills for three-and-a-half minutes. Much to my shock and amazement, though, Power of the Tongue II is about nothing of the sort. Instead, the record is an incisive examination of the ways in which words and images produced by hip-hop come to affect reality. Over Analogic‘s soul-sampled production, the artist reminds us of the many occasions on which rappers’ lives have imitated their art, landing them in prison—or, if they’re less lucky, in an early grave. For Power of the Tongue II and much more, check out K-Hill’s Achilles Hill EP when it drops digitally next week, February 26.
Written by richard on 02/19/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Covenant" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)