Throwback Thursday: This week will go down in hip-hop history as the week that Kendrick Lamar and Control took over hip-hop. So for today’s Throwback Thursday, we thought it’d be only right to take a look at where it all started for Kendrick, at least where DJBooth is concerned, and bring back the very first song we featured from the then K. Dot, 2008’s Hater Love. From K. Dot to even be mentioned in the same breath as rap’s all-time greats, even the haters have to admit they love Kendrick Lamar.
K. Dot believes in unconditional love. On his new single, Hater Love, the Compton native makes a tongue-in-cheek confession about loving his haters, without whose efforts he would find himself uncontested, unknown, and unable to make them look whack. And that’s half of what rap is all about, right? With a delivery that sounds eerily similar to Lil Wayne’s and a mean street drawl, K. Dot sure is talented enough to be hated by those that aren’t. Hater Love is produced by Cool and Dre, whose bright fugue of horns and crip-walking piano give the beat a real West Coast feel. If you’re feeling the track or just want some advice on how to do deal with the cynics, check out K. Dot’s forthcoming self-titled EP.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/15/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.