J.Y.‘s back on our front page with a fresh mixtape leak… do you know What That Means? Actually, I’m not quite sure either – but it’s certainly an indication that quality tune-age lies in our imminent future. The follow-up to inaugural leak Arkham Asylum is a grind anthem par excellence, with JRB‘s bass-booming percussion, synth-strings and overdriven guitar riffage setting the stage for some picturesque real talk (“Left leg shakin’ like the ass on Shakira / Nervous cause the time of success getting’ nearer.”). But before the headliner’s said his piece, fellow Garden State repper (and freestyle series alumnus) Neako grabs the mic to lace the opening verse with witty braggadocio, as well as some more earnest insights into his motivations: “I’m about family: I wouldn’t give up my mother for a Grammy, homie for an Oscar, I represent the block, yup.” Newcomer Prestige rounds out the lineup, exhibiting a uniquely gruff vocal style on the hook. J.Y.‘s Booth-sponsored The Slave Shift: Falling Up street album is set to hit our mixtape page June 28. Watch for the project’s first official single to drop later this week!
Written by richard on 05/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.