J.Y.‘s back on our front page with a fresh mixtape leak… do you know What That Means? Actually, I’m not quite sure either – but it’s certainly an indication that quality tune-age lies in our imminent future. The follow-up to inaugural leak Arkham Asylum is a grind anthem par excellence, with JRB‘s bass-booming percussion, synth-strings and overdriven guitar riffage setting the stage for some picturesque real talk (“Left leg shakin’ like the ass on Shakira / Nervous cause the time of success getting’ nearer.”). But before the headliner’s said his piece, fellow Garden State repper (and freestyle series alumnus) Neako grabs the mic to lace the opening verse with witty braggadocio, as well as some more earnest insights into his motivations: “I’m about family: I wouldn’t give up my mother for a Grammy, homie for an Oscar, I represent the block, yup.” Newcomer Prestige rounds out the lineup, exhibiting a uniquely gruff vocal style on the hook. J.Y.‘s Booth-sponsored The Slave Shift: Falling Up street album is set to hit our mixtape page June 28. Watch for the project’s first official single to drop later this week!
Written by richard on 05/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.