With his The Slave Shift: Falling Up album finally set for release later this week, New Jersey spitter J.Y. has hit us with what may be the last sneak peak we’ll receive before the project is made available. On The Switch Up, J.Y. links up with producer CitoOnTheBeat, who quite literally switches it up on the record as he makes his way from beatsmith to emcee. Accompanying the release of the Jersey native’s newest single is the Ramsey Diaz-directed music video that features both J.Y. and CitoOnTheBeat dropping rambunctious rhymes with the backing of their entire crew. Despite the duo’s in-your-face lyricism, CitoOnTheBeat keeps the production on The Switch Up rather mellow as he blends bass with keys. Look out for The Slave Shift: Falling Up, which will be released via The DJBooth for free download and stream on Thursday, September 27.
Written by Danielle H. on 09/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.