After a brief respite from the dark mood of inaugural mixtape leak Little Maria in the form of determined follow-up We All Good, up-and-coming emcee J.Y. is back to his old tricks; The Sun’s Not Enough, the third and final leak off the project (and a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), finds the Jersey native facing up to his own mortality, and the many regrets he’s accumulated during his years on this earth. Told you it was dark. Here, The Klasix’ bittersweet string samples set the stage for the artist’s brutally introspective bars; after looking back on all the things he wished he’d done differently in life, from finishing school to avoiding alcohol’s destructive influence, sending his prayers to those he’ll leave behind, and asking forgiveness for his sins, the emcee states his modest hope for the future: “And I pray, ‘fore the Lord put me down for the sleep, that I can drop this album, not worry ‘bout the leak.” Painful but ultimately cathartic, this is just one of many insightful joint on J.Y.‘s Booth-sponsored The Slave Shift: Waking Down street album, due out tomorrow.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.