After a brief respite from the dark mood of inaugural mixtape leak Little Maria in the form of determined follow-up We All Good, up-and-coming emcee J.Y. is back to his old tricks; The Sun’s Not Enough, the third and final leak off the project (and a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), finds the Jersey native facing up to his own mortality, and the many regrets he’s accumulated during his years on this earth. Told you it was dark. Here, The Klasix’ bittersweet string samples set the stage for the artist’s brutally introspective bars; after looking back on all the things he wished he’d done differently in life, from finishing school to avoiding alcohol’s destructive influence, sending his prayers to those he’ll leave behind, and asking forgiveness for his sins, the emcee states his modest hope for the future: “And I pray, ‘fore the Lord put me down for the sleep, that I can drop this album, not worry ‘bout the leak.” Painful but ultimately cathartic, this is just one of many insightful joint on J.Y.‘s Booth-sponsored The Slave Shift: Waking Down street album, due out tomorrow.
Written by richard on 01/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.