After a brief respite from the dark mood of inaugural mixtape leak Little Maria in the form of determined follow-up We All Good, up-and-coming emcee J.Y. is back to his old tricks; The Sun’s Not Enough, the third and final leak off the project (and a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), finds the Jersey native facing up to his own mortality, and the many regrets he’s accumulated during his years on this earth. Told you it was dark. Here, The Klasix’ bittersweet string samples set the stage for the artist’s brutally introspective bars; after looking back on all the things he wished he’d done differently in life, from finishing school to avoiding alcohol’s destructive influence, sending his prayers to those he’ll leave behind, and asking forgiveness for his sins, the emcee states his modest hope for the future: “And I pray, ‘fore the Lord put me down for the sleep, that I can drop this album, not worry ‘bout the leak.” Painful but ultimately cathartic, this is just one of many insightful joint on J.Y.‘s Booth-sponsored The Slave Shift: Waking Down street album, due out tomorrow.
Written by richard on 01/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.