After a brief respite from the dark mood of inaugural mixtape leak Little Maria in the form of determined follow-up We All Good, up-and-coming emcee J.Y. is back to his old tricks; The Sun’s Not Enough, the third and final leak off the project (and a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), finds the Jersey native facing up to his own mortality, and the many regrets he’s accumulated during his years on this earth. Told you it was dark. Here, The Klasix’ bittersweet string samples set the stage for the artist’s brutally introspective bars; after looking back on all the things he wished he’d done differently in life, from finishing school to avoiding alcohol’s destructive influence, sending his prayers to those he’ll leave behind, and asking forgiveness for his sins, the emcee states his modest hope for the future: “And I pray, ‘fore the Lord put me down for the sleep, that I can drop this album, not worry ‘bout the leak.” Painful but ultimately cathartic, this is just one of many insightful joint on J.Y.‘s Booth-sponsored The Slave Shift: Waking Down street album, due out tomorrow.
Written by richard on 01/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.