Last we heard from J.Y., he was getting ready for the late-July release of a mixtape entitled The Hiring Process. Well, it looks like the Jersey native got that job, but even the brightest silver linings have their clouds, as evidenced by the gloomy title of his follow-up, The Slave Shift. The theme of disillusionment isn’t confined to the name, judging by leaked cut Little Maria (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), which finds the artist describing a more serious case of innocence lost – one that illustrates the dangers of naiveté and negligence in the sexual arena. Over the slow-burning boardwork of the Fortunate Ones, J.Y. spits the story of a “mocha-colored hottie” with a dark past; driven to promiscuity by her hunger for money and affection, she soon learns the hard way that the failure to practice safe sex can have fatal consequences. Topped off with the mournful hook vocals of Michael Charles, this cautionary tale is sure to leave listeners both sobered and impressed with J.Y.‘s storytelling abilities. For more thought-provoking cuts, check out the artist’s latest street album when it hits the ‘net Jan.18, 2011.
Check out the video, too!
Written by richard on 12/21/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)