Last we heard from J.Y., he was getting ready for the late-July release of a mixtape entitled The Hiring Process. Well, it looks like the Jersey native got that job, but even the brightest silver linings have their clouds, as evidenced by the gloomy title of his follow-up, The Slave Shift. The theme of disillusionment isn’t confined to the name, judging by leaked cut Little Maria (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), which finds the artist describing a more serious case of innocence lost – one that illustrates the dangers of naiveté and negligence in the sexual arena. Over the slow-burning boardwork of the Fortunate Ones, J.Y. spits the story of a “mocha-colored hottie” with a dark past; driven to promiscuity by her hunger for money and affection, she soon learns the hard way that the failure to practice safe sex can have fatal consequences. Topped off with the mournful hook vocals of Michael Charles, this cautionary tale is sure to leave listeners both sobered and impressed with J.Y.‘s storytelling abilities. For more thought-provoking cuts, check out the artist’s latest street album when it hits the ‘net Jan.18, 2011.
Check out the video, too!
Written by richard on 12/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.