Flying to exotic locales, performing to crowds of adoring fans and, above all, spending your time doing what you love… the life of an artist on the rise seems tailor-made to turn those with more mundane jobs green with envy. Be that as it may, J.Y. Can’t Pretend he’s feeling anything less than amazing. On the first single off his forthcoming mixtape, the Jersey representative and two talented cohorts take listeners on a tour of the World [They] Know, making no apologies for their contented mindstates. The Fortunate Ones’ shimmering piano instrumental, sampled from John Legend‘s Again, sets the stage for bars brimming with real talk and positivity. After the headliner’s fresh opener, Cory Gunz and Emilio Rojas take the reins, lacing the latter two-thirds with, respectively, vivid braggadocio (“I’m fly enough to go off in a leotard and cape.”) and ambitious business-talk (“‘Fore I see that contract, send it to my lawyer/ getting f*cked, we ain’t on that.) Feel like spending a little more time in J.Y.‘s world? You’ll have the perfect opportunity on June 28, when his Booth-hosted The Slave Shift: Falling Up street album arrives on our mixtape page.
Written by richard on 05/19/11
Jersey emcee J.Y. has come together with The DJBooth and his own site, WhoisJY.com, to bring listeners his long-awaited junior full-length, The Slave Shift: Falling Up. The follow-up to last year's Waking Down, the project...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tell Me What It Is (Remix) ft. Joe Budden & Cory Gunz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.