As those of us who don’t live under rocks are well aware, Rihanna‘s been a little troubled lately, and nowhere was her precarious state more evident than on Rated R‘s lead single Russian Roulette. On the latest leak off his forthcoming, DJBooth.net Presents: The White Labels EP, singer Justin Garner gallops in on his noble steed to rescue the tortured pop starlet by way of a musical Intervention. Rather than going the ‘duet’ route, like he did on his reader-acclaimed reinterpretation of Leona Lewis’ Can’t Breathe, Garner handles this revamp on his lonesome, delivering a line-to-line response to the original record‘s lyrics. Even if J.G. doesn’t manage to singlehandedly save Ri-Ri from emotional pain, the impassioned vocals he delivers over Chuck Harmony and Ne-Yo ‘s ominous boardwork should leave few in the Booth unimpressed. Does this track, like Garner’s take on Can’t Breathe, add up to more than the sum of its parts? If you think so, be sure and download a copy of his five-track EP when it hits our front page next Tuesday, December 15.
Written by richard on 12/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Speed Limit" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.