The life of an up-and-coming artist is far from easy, but Booth newcomer Justin Bates doesn’t let the struggles get him down; on the contrary, he stays optimistic at all times, secure in the knowledge that “When you Love Life, it loves you back.” Don’t share the Brooklyn-by-way-of-Chicago spitter’s talent for accentuating the positive? Not to worry—a listen to his first feature should be just the thing to start your day (or afternoon, or evening) off on the right foot. Production partner Analogic takes inspiration from one of my personal top-five rock groups, slicing and dicing the piano-led intro from Steely Dan’s Home at Last into a head-noddable backdrop for rhymes emphasizing the importance of working hard, staying true to your artistic vision and keeping your chin up. As for those who don’t follow his advice, they’d better not come running to him for help. On the back, Bates informs “nagging n*ggas,” “...if you don’t get a response when you inquire, I don’t want my verses in your projects, got it?” Listeners digging this sanguine selection can look forward to more fresh, uplifting tunes on the emcee-producer duo’s forthcoming, as-yet untitled EP, scheduled for release via Elementality later this year.
Written by richard on 01/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stand Up!" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.