The life of an up-and-coming artist is far from easy, but Booth newcomer Justin Bates doesn’t let the struggles get him down; on the contrary, he stays optimistic at all times, secure in the knowledge that “When you Love Life, it loves you back.” Don’t share the Brooklyn-by-way-of-Chicago spitter’s talent for accentuating the positive? Not to worry—a listen to his first feature should be just the thing to start your day (or afternoon, or evening) off on the right foot. Production partner Analogic takes inspiration from one of my personal top-five rock groups, slicing and dicing the piano-led intro from Steely Dan’s Home at Last into a head-noddable backdrop for rhymes emphasizing the importance of working hard, staying true to your artistic vision and keeping your chin up. As for those who don’t follow his advice, they’d better not come running to him for help. On the back, Bates informs “nagging n*ggas,” “...if you don’t get a response when you inquire, I don’t want my verses in your projects, got it?” Listeners digging this sanguine selection can look forward to more fresh, uplifting tunes on the emcee-producer duo’s forthcoming, as-yet untitled EP, scheduled for release via Elementality later this year.
Written by richard on 01/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stand Up!" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)