While June Summers recently stepped into the Booth with compilation mixtape Hookman for Hire, it’s been a solid year-and-a-half since he last brought us a solo feature. As Steve Perry would say, though, “Do-o-n’t stop, belie-e-evin!” Far from having fallen off, the NYC repper is, was and ever shall be “Grinding on and on and on and on…” – and he’s back with a Booth-exclusive world premiere to prove it. If you didn’t catch my hint, this new single is an homage to Journey’s Don’t Stop Believin’, with (who else?) “J.R.” Rotem flipping the ‘81 arena-rock hit’s iconic keyboard chords into a triumphant backdrop for lyrical reflections on June Summers’ epic hustle. In bars that are self-congratulatory but not self-satisfied, the singer informs listeners that his indefatigable work ethic is an inborn trait: “[Can’t] take the hustle out of me, I got it biologically, my father handed it down to me, so I guess I got it honestly” Topped off with the anthemic hook vocals of Caribbean-pop heavyweight Sean Kingston, this cut could hardly be a grander re-entrance. If you’re left wanting more, keep it locked for release details on Summers’ forthcoming Almost Famous LP.
Written by richard on 05/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All Money In ft. June Summers" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.