Fittingly, when I was asked to write about Memphis spitter June, I immediately recalled his work from a rooftop performance at last year’s SXSW Festival. I thought then that June’s material had a message to send to all the non-believers, so I’m not surprised to find so much substance in his latest effort, One Day, off of his recently released EVOL project. One Day, produced by Teddy Walton and using samples from MLK’s I Have a Dream speech, has June and cohort Skewby providing a glimpse into their future success. The dangers of major labels, women and lack of grind all get their fair share of the spotlight as June paints a picture of a conscious rapper whose above the latest street trend - and if you find yourself relating, check out EVOL, out now.
Written by Thomas K Welker on 11/1/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.