Fittingly, when I was asked to write about Memphis spitter June, I immediately recalled his work from a rooftop performance at last year’s SXSW Festival. I thought then that June’s material had a message to send to all the non-believers, so I’m not surprised to find so much substance in his latest effort, One Day, off of his recently released EVOL project. One Day, produced by Teddy Walton and using samples from MLK’s I Have a Dream speech, has June and cohort Skewby providing a glimpse into their future success. The dangers of major labels, women and lack of grind all get their fair share of the spotlight as June paints a picture of a conscious rapper whose above the latest street trend - and if you find yourself relating, check out EVOL, out now.
Written by Thomas K Welker on 11/1/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.