In the history of a doomed relationship, there comes a point when one can no longer shake off the feeling that things really aren’t gonna work out. Typically, that comes before the other person stops taking your calls, but, hey, denial’s a powerful thing. On new single Angels Calling My Name, Booth newcomer Julian Young (formerly known as Thundaz) gives us an in-depth look at that awful moment, as he experienced it. A rolling, 12/8 piano-guitar groove courtesy of Epik sets the mood as the Brooklyn-born, Harlem-raised emcee looks back on the good times he spent with his current girl, before turning his gaze to the storm that lies ahead. While he wishes she’s stay by his side, her reaction to the emcee’s pleas (“...I hit you up and you pick the line, like ‘Why the hell are you still wastin’ my time?”) makes clear that the prospects are grim. At the very least, the agile flows and melodic chorus vocals should make the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship with Booth readers – or have I got it twisted? If you like what you’re hearing, there’s plenty more where this came from on Tomorrow’s Promised, released last summer and out now online.
Written by richard on 01/19/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.