In the history of a doomed relationship, there comes a point when one can no longer shake off the feeling that things really aren’t gonna work out. Typically, that comes before the other person stops taking your calls, but, hey, denial’s a powerful thing. On new single Angels Calling My Name, Booth newcomer Julian Young (formerly known as Thundaz) gives us an in-depth look at that awful moment, as he experienced it. A rolling, 12/8 piano-guitar groove courtesy of Epik sets the mood as the Brooklyn-born, Harlem-raised emcee looks back on the good times he spent with his current girl, before turning his gaze to the storm that lies ahead. While he wishes she’s stay by his side, her reaction to the emcee’s pleas (“...I hit you up and you pick the line, like ‘Why the hell are you still wastin’ my time?”) makes clear that the prospects are grim. At the very least, the agile flows and melodic chorus vocals should make the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship with Booth readers – or have I got it twisted? If you like what you’re hearing, there’s plenty more where this came from on Tomorrow’s Promised, released last summer and out now online.
Written by richard on 01/19/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.