In the history of a doomed relationship, there comes a point when one can no longer shake off the feeling that things really aren’t gonna work out. Typically, that comes before the other person stops taking your calls, but, hey, denial’s a powerful thing. On new single Angels Calling My Name, Booth newcomer Julian Young (formerly known as Thundaz) gives us an in-depth look at that awful moment, as he experienced it. A rolling, 12/8 piano-guitar groove courtesy of Epik sets the mood as the Brooklyn-born, Harlem-raised emcee looks back on the good times he spent with his current girl, before turning his gaze to the storm that lies ahead. While he wishes she’s stay by his side, her reaction to the emcee’s pleas (“...I hit you up and you pick the line, like ‘Why the hell are you still wastin’ my time?”) makes clear that the prospects are grim. At the very least, the agile flows and melodic chorus vocals should make the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship with Booth readers – or have I got it twisted? If you like what you’re hearing, there’s plenty more where this came from on Tomorrow’s Promised, released last summer and out now online.
Written by richard on 01/19/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.