The more things change, the more things stay the same—it’s been nearly thirty years since reggae icon Bob Marley’s untimely passing, but the political, social, and economic struggles he spoke about in his music remain. Now, three of the legend’s sons have come together to craft a cut that addresses many of today’s hot-button issues while remaining firmly rooted in the genre’s tradition of social criticism. On Julian Marley’s latest single, he and his brother, Damian Marley, unweave the spiderweb of influences that contribute to Violence In The Streets, touching upon everything from the institutionalized prejudice that contributes to unemployment to the fat-cats making their fortunes flooding hoods with firearms. Stephen Marley backs his brothers’ passionate vocals with a classic guitar-organ groove, complete with spacey dub flourishes. Awake, Julian’s third studio album, drops on the 26th of May, and fans can also look forward to the June 23rd release of Distant Relatives, Damian’s genre-bending collaboration with rap icon Nas.
Written by richard on 05/18/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.