Like many creative individuals, Ju’ Malone spends a lot of time with his head in the Clouds. And I don’t mean that he’s a daydreamer—though that may be true as well. The introductory track off the Chi-Town rapper/producer’s next street album was clearly created amid a thick haze of blunt smoke. Built around a string-laced sample reminiscent of a classic Bing Crosby ballad, the self-produced instrumental drifts along languidly, like a wisp of cirrus traversing the afternoon sky. The BRKF$T CLUB member pairs his idyllic beat with bars that clearly communicate his determination to succeed, despite the many obstacles in his path: “I honestly still done seen more dark than a lot of these silly-ass n**gas. / But the struggling just made me hungrier…” For this mellow track and much more, check out the artist’s DIFFRNT mixtape when it hits the net for download on Saturday, March 1.
Written by richard on 02/3/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.