On his last feature, September’s Universal Just Called, JSWISS brushed aside major-label overtures with a firm, “Thanks, but no thanks.” Why did he turn ‘em down? For one thing, he didn’t want to get fleeced. For another, creating music based on his own vision makes him so happy that he’s not tempted by short-cuts to success. That passion for his craft is readily apparent on new promo single Where You Are, premiering right here in The DJBooth. SWISS is hardly the first emcee to write a love song to hip-hop, but it’s hard to argue with the sincerity, not to mention the lyrical dexterity, with which he executes the premise. Owen Hill Jr.‘s production, a smooth flip of Marvin Gaye’s I Wanna Be Where You Are, backs the artist as he describes the work he’s been putting in to turn his dreams into reality. This laid-back jam isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on JSWISS’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/5/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.