On his last feature, September’s Universal Just Called, JSWISS brushed aside major-label overtures with a firm, “Thanks, but no thanks.” Why did he turn ‘em down? For one thing, he didn’t want to get fleeced. For another, creating music based on his own vision makes him so happy that he’s not tempted by short-cuts to success. That passion for his craft is readily apparent on new promo single Where You Are, premiering right here in The DJBooth. SWISS is hardly the first emcee to write a love song to hip-hop, but it’s hard to argue with the sincerity, not to mention the lyrical dexterity, with which he executes the premise. Owen Hill Jr.‘s production, a smooth flip of Marvin Gaye’s I Wanna Be Where You Are, backs the artist as he describes the work he’s been putting in to turn his dreams into reality. This laid-back jam isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on JSWISS’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.