On his last feature, September’s Universal Just Called, JSWISS brushed aside major-label overtures with a firm, “Thanks, but no thanks.” Why did he turn ‘em down? For one thing, he didn’t want to get fleeced. For another, creating music based on his own vision makes him so happy that he’s not tempted by short-cuts to success. That passion for his craft is readily apparent on new promo single Where You Are, premiering right here in The DJBooth. SWISS is hardly the first emcee to write a love song to hip-hop, but it’s hard to argue with the sincerity, not to mention the lyrical dexterity, with which he executes the premise. Owen Hill Jr.‘s production, a smooth flip of Marvin Gaye’s I Wanna Be Where You Are, backs the artist as he describes the work he’s been putting in to turn his dreams into reality. This laid-back jam isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on JSWISS’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.