On his last feature, September’s Universal Just Called, JSWISS brushed aside major-label overtures with a firm, “Thanks, but no thanks.” Why did he turn ‘em down? For one thing, he didn’t want to get fleeced. For another, creating music based on his own vision makes him so happy that he’s not tempted by short-cuts to success. That passion for his craft is readily apparent on new promo single Where You Are, premiering right here in The DJBooth. SWISS is hardly the first emcee to write a love song to hip-hop, but it’s hard to argue with the sincerity, not to mention the lyrical dexterity, with which he executes the premise. Owen Hill Jr.‘s production, a smooth flip of Marvin Gaye’s I Wanna Be Where You Are, backs the artist as he describes the work he’s been putting in to turn his dreams into reality. This laid-back jam isn’t attached to a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on JSWISS’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.