JR & PH7 may not be new to the Booth but, since their first (and, to date, last) appearance was nearly two years ago, I’ll refresh your memory: hailing from Cologne, Germany, the production duo were introduced in March ‘09 with Black Milk/Guilty Simpson collab Top Rank. Now, the beatsmiths are back on our front page with Let’s Get It, the third single off their sophomore set. This street-ready selection finds the beatsmiths blending gritty piano chords, pensive organ riffs and hard-nosed percussion (accented by the occasional clink of a fallen shell) as underground vet Rasco delivers a booming chronicle of his paper chase. Though the subject matter’s as old as cash itself, the San Fran mainstay’s intense delivery makes this joint well worth the price of admission, and the classic samples on the bridge (Wu-Tang‘s Ice Cream, O.C.‘s My World...) only add to the retro freshness. Like what you’re hearing? You can find more where where this came from on JR & PH7’s The Update LP, released last November via Soulspazm Records/Foundation Media.
Written by richard on 02/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gat in Your Mouth" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.