Here’s a head-scratcher for you: what do the cities of Detroit, Michigan and Cologne, Germany have in common? As far as I know, the answer was “very little” until this song came along. In the latest testament to hip-hop’s status as a truly global art form, German production duo JR&PH7 have joined forces with two Motor City vets to prove that border-crossing collabos can indeed yield Top Rank results. Guilty Simpson‘s bookends the cut with booming verses, flexing his authoritative flow as he lets listeners know that nothing will stop him from getting that paper, while Slum Village emcee/producer Black Milk amps up the wordplay in between. Their double-barreled lyrical attack hits home with the force of “two Scud missiles,” and JR&PH7 top the track off with some street-certified boardwork, accenting their bass-heavy beat with spaced-out synth flourishes. This Top Rank cut is only the tip of the iceberg for JR&PH7; due out April 7th, forthcoming LP The Standard will feature appearances by Planet Asia, Skyzoo, Oddisee, and more.
Written by richard on 03/18/09
Submit your Rating
Soulspazm Records/Foundation Media
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bloody Sunday" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.