Booth newcomer J Rand will be the first to admit that he hasn’t got all of his sh*t together. He’s been known to turn nights at the bar into slumber parties, and occasionally needs an Oxycontin to start his day. But there’s nothing like a major-label recording contract to turn a hungry, young artist with a history of substance abuse into a functioning member of society, right? Wait… f**k. While I have to admit that I’m kind of scared of what the Poe Boy/Interscope/Geffen signee will do if he really hits it big, it’s hard to argue with an ode to overindulgence as catchy as new single Some Nights (Remix). On this bubblegum-pop banger, the artist showcases the full breath of his skills, hooking up with co-producer Vinny Venditto to create a lush synth-guitar backdrop for bars charting his growth from an reckless kid struggling to make it into a richer, but equally reckless kid unsure if he can cope with his newfound success. Topped off with a gleaming, self-harmonized hook, this autobiogrphical jam is just one of many catchy cuts to be found on the artist’s LA Leakers-hosted Heartbreak Kid tape, set to hit the ‘net in October.
Written by richard on 09/25/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.