Booth newcomer J Rand will be the first to admit that he hasn’t got all of his sh*t together. He’s been known to turn nights at the bar into slumber parties, and occasionally needs an Oxycontin to start his day. But there’s nothing like a major-label recording contract to turn a hungry, young artist with a history of substance abuse into a functioning member of society, right? Wait… f**k. While I have to admit that I’m kind of scared of what the Poe Boy/Interscope/Geffen signee will do if he really hits it big, it’s hard to argue with an ode to overindulgence as catchy as new single Some Nights (Remix). On this bubblegum-pop banger, the artist showcases the full breath of his skills, hooking up with co-producer Vinny Venditto to create a lush synth-guitar backdrop for bars charting his growth from an reckless kid struggling to make it into a richer, but equally reckless kid unsure if he can cope with his newfound success. Topped off with a gleaming, self-harmonized hook, this autobiogrphical jam is just one of many catchy cuts to be found on the artist’s LA Leakers-hosted Heartbreak Kid tape, set to hit the ‘net in October.
Written by richard on 09/25/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.