Typically, “It Is What It Is” is used as a response to life’s minor disappointments: “Oh word, the new Kreayshawn album is a steaming hot piece of garbage? Well, it is what it is.” On JR & PH7‘s latest single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere), guest stars Fly Union and Chuuwee show us that the expression can also be appropriate for the opposite situation: to play down your good fortune when things couldn’t be going better. Backed by the Cologne, Germany beat crew’s scintillating synths and slow-rolling percussion, the Ohio trio and Sacramento-repping Booth regular describe just how great the hustle’s been treating them of late. They’re not boasting when they spit about the paper they’ve been stacking and the beautiful women who’ve been flocking their way—it simply is what it is. Find yourself nodding along to this breezy selection? More hot beats and dope guest rhymes await on JR & PH7’s The Good Life LP, set to hit our homepage for free streaming Monday, November 5, in anticipation of its release to iTunes on the 6th.
Written by richard on 10/23/12
Submit your Rating
Soulspazm Records/Foundation Media
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Top Rank ft. Guilty Simpson & Black Milk" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.