The Booth debut of newcomer Joyner Lucas is dedicated to the ladies, but it’s not a slow jam or a club song; it actually has some real meaning behind it. While society may dictate how women are supposed to act, what they should say and what they should wear, there are some men like (like Lucas) who refuse to do so. Instead they ask, in regard to those who feel they can tell women what to do, “What Do They Know?” Powerful but not overdone, producer Khep‘s synth-driven, minimalist beat sets the mood on this heavy song selection. The real meat of the record, however, comes from Lucas’ brisk, resonating flow, which he uses to provide a refreshing, reassuring perspective on gender relations. If What Do They Know? leaves you wanting more from this Massachusetts native, be sure to check out his upcoming project, LFO’s, when it drops on Saturday, August 17.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/5/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.