The Booth debut of newcomer Joyner Lucas is dedicated to the ladies, but it’s not a slow jam or a club song; it actually has some real meaning behind it. While society may dictate how women are supposed to act, what they should say and what they should wear, there are some men like (like Lucas) who refuse to do so. Instead they ask, in regard to those who feel they can tell women what to do, “What Do They Know?” Powerful but not overdone, producer Khep‘s synth-driven, minimalist beat sets the mood on this heavy song selection. The real meat of the record, however, comes from Lucas’ brisk, resonating flow, which he uses to provide a refreshing, reassuring perspective on gender relations. If What Do They Know? leaves you wanting more from this Massachusetts native, be sure to check out his upcoming project, LFO’s, when it drops on Saturday, August 17.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/5/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.