The Booth debut of newcomer Joyner Lucas is dedicated to the ladies, but it’s not a slow jam or a club song; it actually has some real meaning behind it. While society may dictate how women are supposed to act, what they should say and what they should wear, there are some men like (like Lucas) who refuse to do so. Instead they ask, in regard to those who feel they can tell women what to do, “What Do They Know?” Powerful but not overdone, producer Khep‘s synth-driven, minimalist beat sets the mood on this heavy song selection. The real meat of the record, however, comes from Lucas’ brisk, resonating flow, which he uses to provide a refreshing, reassuring perspective on gender relations. If What Do They Know? leaves you wanting more from this Massachusetts native, be sure to check out his upcoming project, LFO’s, when it drops on Saturday, August 17.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/5/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.