The Booth debut of newcomer Joyner Lucas is dedicated to the ladies, but it’s not a slow jam or a club song; it actually has some real meaning behind it. While society may dictate how women are supposed to act, what they should say and what they should wear, there are some men like (like Lucas) who refuse to do so. Instead they ask, in regard to those who feel they can tell women what to do, “What Do They Know?” Powerful but not overdone, producer Khep‘s synth-driven, minimalist beat sets the mood on this heavy song selection. The real meat of the record, however, comes from Lucas’ brisk, resonating flow, which he uses to provide a refreshing, reassuring perspective on gender relations. If What Do They Know? leaves you wanting more from this Massachusetts native, be sure to check out his upcoming project, LFO’s, when it drops on Saturday, August 17.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/5/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.