Time for a riddle: what do my Dad – a middle aged dude who works for a bank in Minneapolis – and Josie Stingray – an up-and-coming femcee hailing from Oakland – have in common? If you guessed “a love for Steely Dan” then you either cheated or are able to read minds through the Internet. But you’re correct. As proof, I present Josie, which finds the Booth newcomer flipping the ‘70s mainstays’ single of the same title into a hip-hop tribute to – who else? – herself. Backed by Trackademicks synth/breakbeat-driven reimagining of the original’s instrumental backdrop, Stingray does the jazz-rock luminaries proud, dropping verses dense with allusive quotables: “I bellow notes at fellows, like Ella Fitzgerald in a yellow ass ‘Maro.” Complete with the guest vocals of Cali neighbor 1 O.A.K. (previously heard on Lovecats), this out-the-box yet eminently listenable joint is sure to leave fans of dope rhymes and tunefully retro grooves intrigued. While the project that will feature this cut has yet to receive a title or release date, fans can, as always, keep it locked for the latest details.
Written by richard on 01/3/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.