Time for a riddle: what do my Dad – a middle aged dude who works for a bank in Minneapolis – and Josie Stingray – an up-and-coming femcee hailing from Oakland – have in common? If you guessed “a love for Steely Dan” then you either cheated or are able to read minds through the Internet. But you’re correct. As proof, I present Josie, which finds the Booth newcomer flipping the ‘70s mainstays’ single of the same title into a hip-hop tribute to – who else? – herself. Backed by Trackademicks synth/breakbeat-driven reimagining of the original’s instrumental backdrop, Stingray does the jazz-rock luminaries proud, dropping verses dense with allusive quotables: “I bellow notes at fellows, like Ella Fitzgerald in a yellow ass ‘Maro.” Complete with the guest vocals of Cali neighbor 1 O.A.K. (previously heard on Lovecats), this out-the-box yet eminently listenable joint is sure to leave fans of dope rhymes and tunefully retro grooves intrigued. While the project that will feature this cut has yet to receive a title or release date, fans can, as always, keep it locked for the latest details.
Written by richard on 01/3/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.