If you are a hip-hop fan who doesn’t know where Joshua Gunn drew inspiration from for his latest single, Cash Rule$, then I suggest hitting the hip-hop history books, because C.R.E.A.M has been and forever will be the most popular mantra (YOLO doesn’t even hold a candle to the Wu-Tang acronym, please). While it comes as no surprise, Gunn’s latest shares the same paper chasing sentiments as the legendary hip-hop faction. It is, however, drastically different in terms of style and approach. Joshua chooses a hazy, snared-out beat from producer Lawrence Wiggins, and while not as brash as Wu-Tang, is still somewhat aggressive. The North Carolina emcee’s emotional style, paralleling to the smooth track, really gives listeners a sense of his hunger for acclaim. Fans of Cash Rule$ will have to wait until May, when his God’s Speed album is set to drop. Until then you can spend your time enjoying to his his last feature, Dime-A-Dozen.
Red Eye Lifestyle
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Applaud Me" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.