If you are a hip-hop fan who doesn’t know where Joshua Gunn drew inspiration from for his latest single, Cash Rule$, then I suggest hitting the hip-hop history books, because C.R.E.A.M has been and forever will be the most popular mantra (YOLO doesn’t even hold a candle to the Wu-Tang acronym, please). While it comes as no surprise, Gunn’s latest shares the same paper chasing sentiments as the legendary hip-hop faction. It is, however, drastically different in terms of style and approach. Joshua chooses a hazy, snared-out beat from producer Lawrence Wiggins, and while not as brash as Wu-Tang, is still somewhat aggressive. The North Carolina emcee’s emotional style, paralleling to the smooth track, really gives listeners a sense of his hunger for acclaim. Fans of Cash Rule$ will have to wait until May, when his God’s Speed album is set to drop. Until then you can spend your time enjoying to his his last feature, Dime-A-Dozen.
Written by Lucas G. on 02/21/13
Red Eye Lifestyle
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Applaud Me" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)