If you are a hip-hop fan who doesn’t know where Joshua Gunn drew inspiration from for his latest single, Cash Rule$, then I suggest hitting the hip-hop history books, because C.R.E.A.M has been and forever will be the most popular mantra (YOLO doesn’t even hold a candle to the Wu-Tang acronym, please). While it comes as no surprise, Gunn’s latest shares the same paper chasing sentiments as the legendary hip-hop faction. It is, however, drastically different in terms of style and approach. Joshua chooses a hazy, snared-out beat from producer Lawrence Wiggins, and while not as brash as Wu-Tang, is still somewhat aggressive. The North Carolina emcee’s emotional style, paralleling to the smooth track, really gives listeners a sense of his hunger for acclaim. Fans of Cash Rule$ will have to wait until May, when his God’s Speed album is set to drop. Until then you can spend your time enjoying to his his last feature, Dime-A-Dozen.
Written by Lucas G. on 02/21/13
Submit your Rating
Red Eye Lifestyle
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Applaud Me" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.