Some people (especially artists) work best in an atmosphere of barely-controlled chaos. José James prefers to have EveryLittleThing in its natural place. That precision and conscientiousness extends to the Minneapolis-born singer/songwriter’s work, as evidenced by the latest single off his fifth studio album. Each and every little element of this slow-burning alt-R&B banger—from the understated vocals, to the caustic lyrics, to the tense, intricate synth beat—fits together to form an exquisitely crafted musical machine. Interest piqued? More fresh, innovative tunes are just around the corner. James’s While You Were Sleeping LP is set for release via Blue Note Records on Tuesday, June 10.
Written by richard on 05/15/14
Submit your Rating
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Trouble (Oh No Remix)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.