Some people (especially artists) work best in an atmosphere of barely-controlled chaos. José James prefers to have EveryLittleThing in its natural place. That precision and conscientiousness extends to the Minneapolis-born singer/songwriter’s work, as evidenced by the latest single off his fifth studio album. Each and every little element of this slow-burning alt-R&B banger—from the understated vocals, to the caustic lyrics, to the tense, intricate synth beat—fits together to form an exquisitely crafted musical machine. Interest piqued? More fresh, innovative tunes are just around the corner. James’s While You Were Sleeping LP is set for release via Blue Note Records on Tuesday, June 10.
Written by richard on 05/15/14
Submit your Rating
Blue Note Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Trouble (Oh No Remix)" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.