Being a woman in today’s society ain’t easy; females have to work harder for less pay than men, they’re held to outrageous standards of physical beauty… oh, and they get to carry tiny human beings around in their bodies for nine months, before pushing them out in a painful process that can take hours. I mean, damn. Just in time for Mother’s Day, Jordin Sparks returns with I Am Woman, a new single on which she encourages ladies to stand proud, and fellas to show their appreciation. Here, beatsmith Ryan Tedder sets a fittingly bombastic mood behind the boards, blending hi-impact percussion with dense synth-brass fanfare as the Battlefield singer celebrates female empowerment, boasting of her awe-inspiring looks and daring dudes to try and spend even a day in her shoes (of course, she’s rocking stilettos, so most wouldn’t even be able to stay upright). A worthy sentiment, to be sure, but does it all add up to a hit? If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, be sure to tune in for Sparks’ live performance of I Am Woman on this Thursday’s episode of American Idol, and keep it locked for details on the her yet-untitled third album.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.