There’s never a shortage of suitable hip-hop records to get lifted to, but when is someone going to create an anthem for those who choose not to partake? OK, to be fair, refraining from puffing herb may not sound like the most scintillating subject matter. As a non-smoker myself, though (Not hating—the stuff just never agreed with me.), I can say I’m jazzed that Jon Hope‘s managed to pull it off on his latest effort. The Second Hand finds the DJBooth freestyle alum chilling with some homies when someone begins to pass a blunt around; though Hope passes without puffing, the kush clouds quickly spread to fill the room, and the emcee soon finds himself feeling the effects of THC. Singing and flowing over Crada‘s atmospheric Chipmunk-soul beat (sampled from Lou Rawls’ Early Morning Love, and originally featured on Kid CuDi‘s Hyyerr), the artist perfectly captures the experience of catching a contact: “Nights like this are what memories are made of / I forgot, ‘cause my memory is baked up / Cloud nine and I better get my cape up / Interviews in the morning when I wake up.” Though this joint isn’t attached to the project, those digging it will undoubtedly find more to like on Hope’s Work in Progress LP, dropping later this year via The Booth!
Written by richard on 01/16/12
Submit your Rating
Essence Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.