There’s never a shortage of suitable hip-hop records to get lifted to, but when is someone going to create an anthem for those who choose not to partake? OK, to be fair, refraining from puffing herb may not sound like the most scintillating subject matter. As a non-smoker myself, though (Not hating—the stuff just never agreed with me.), I can say I’m jazzed that Jon Hope‘s managed to pull it off on his latest effort. The Second Hand finds the DJBooth freestyle alum chilling with some homies when someone begins to pass a blunt around; though Hope passes without puffing, the kush clouds quickly spread to fill the room, and the emcee soon finds himself feeling the effects of THC. Singing and flowing over Crada‘s atmospheric Chipmunk-soul beat (sampled from Lou Rawls’ Early Morning Love, and originally featured on Kid CuDi‘s Hyyerr), the artist perfectly captures the experience of catching a contact: “Nights like this are what memories are made of / I forgot, ‘cause my memory is baked up / Cloud nine and I better get my cape up / Interviews in the morning when I wake up.” Though this joint isn’t attached to the project, those digging it will undoubtedly find more to like on Hope’s Work in Progress LP, dropping later this year via The Booth!
Written by richard on 01/16/12
Essence Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)