Ladies and gentlemen, Jon Hope has arrived. Though the title of the Rhode Island representative’s DJBooth-hosted street release suggests that he’s still putting the pieces together, I don’t know how you can listen to Sara’s Song (The Proclamation) and hear anything but a prelude to greatness. With Taktix’ stirring, artfully chopped gospel harmonies as his musical backdrop, the reader favorite narrates his growth from the proverbial mustard seed to a towering mountain. When he’s not waxing triumphant, Hope finds time to deliver a panoply of fresh punchlines, dropping the first Lil Mama reference I’ve heard in a long damn time (“I get it poppin’ without the lip gloss.”) and pledging, “I ain’t fully dressed until I put my city on.” Director Walu provides the record’s atmospheric visuals, which depict the emcee journeying through a fog-drenched forest. Having experienced this sweeping selection, are you curious what else Hope has in store? Of course you are—so you’ll most definitely want to check back with us later today, when Work in Progress arrives on our mixtape page for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 05/9/12
Essence Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.