How long does Jon Hope hope to stay in the game? As the Providence emcee explains on this newly-leaked cut, he’s planning to stick around “Forever and a day.” Knowing that there’s no better way to make a lasting mark on the game than to follow the examples set by legends past, Hope has taken a similar tack as Term did on the Rakim-referencing Nobody’s Smilin’ (featured yesterday), paying homage to a man who helped lay the foundation for hip-hop to come. Inspired by Keith Murray’s The Most Beautifullest Thing in the World, the track finds Hope using the classic cut’s opening lines as springboard into verses packed with era-bridging braggadocio. LJC serves up an equally appealing blend of past and present on the production tip—though his boardwork is more aggressive than the mellow, Erick Sermon-produced beat that backed Murray’s ‘94 single, the influence is obvious, and the finished product has a similarly chilled-out vibe. A Work In Progress has yet to receive a release date, but this track is sure to get listeners hyped for what promises to be one beautiful project.
Listen to More: Jon Hope
Written by richard on 07/23/09
Essence Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.