How long does Jon Hope hope to stay in the game? As the Providence emcee explains on this newly-leaked cut, he’s planning to stick around “Forever and a day.” Knowing that there’s no better way to make a lasting mark on the game than to follow the examples set by legends past, Hope has taken a similar tack as Term did on the Rakim-referencing Nobody’s Smilin’ (featured yesterday), paying homage to a man who helped lay the foundation for hip-hop to come. Inspired by Keith Murray’s The Most Beautifullest Thing in the World, the track finds Hope using the classic cut’s opening lines as springboard into verses packed with era-bridging braggadocio. LJC serves up an equally appealing blend of past and present on the production tip—though his boardwork is more aggressive than the mellow, Erick Sermon-produced beat that backed Murray’s ‘94 single, the influence is obvious, and the finished product has a similarly chilled-out vibe. A Work In Progress has yet to receive a release date, but this track is sure to get listeners hyped for what promises to be one beautiful project.
Written by richard on 07/23/09
Submit your Rating
Essence Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.