Over the past few years hip-hop has slowly moved from a music that celebrates partying to one that celebrates liver-destroying binge drinking. It’s no longer enough to simply pop bottles, you have to do Shots with LMFAO and get slizzered like Three 6 until you can’t remember your name. Well, as always, you can count on DJBooth Freestyle alum Jon Hope to set the record straight. Just like he did on previous feature Bills, Hope reveals the true consequences and complexities of reaching for liquid courage when times gets hard. While LJC pulls double duty as both a smooth hookman and creator of a simultaneously light and dark beat, lyrically Hope takes the (quasi?) autobiographical approach, telling the first person story of a man left with nothing and no one to turn to, except that always reliable bottle. DJs, feel free to play this one back to back with Fly Like a G6. Fittingly, Hope’s upcoming album Work in Progress is under construction as we speak. Keep it locked for further details.
Listen to More: Jon Hope Written by Nathan S.
Essence Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.