I’ll admit that there was a part of me that hoped Jon Connor‘s True Colors would sample Cyndi Lauper’s ‘80s hit of the same name, and it didn’t take long for my hopes to be confirmed. Sure enough, Connor pulls double duty on True Colors, both interpolating Lauper’s original instrumental on the beat and channeling her inspirational yet heavy-hearted tone on the mic. For more relentlessly honest and lyrical hip-hop be sure to check out Connor’s recently released Season 2 mixtape, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/31/12
Submit your Rating
All Varsity Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep Your Head" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.