I’ll admit that there was a part of me that hoped Jon Connor‘s True Colors would sample Cyndi Lauper’s ‘80s hit of the same name, and it didn’t take long for my hopes to be confirmed. Sure enough, Connor pulls double duty on True Colors, both interpolating Lauper’s original instrumental on the beat and channeling her inspirational yet heavy-hearted tone on the mic. For more relentlessly honest and lyrical hip-hop be sure to check out Connor’s recently released Season 2 mixtape, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/31/12
Submit your Rating
All Varsity Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep Your Head" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.