I’ll admit that there was a part of me that hoped Jon Connor‘s True Colors would sample Cyndi Lauper’s ‘80s hit of the same name, and it didn’t take long for my hopes to be confirmed. Sure enough, Connor pulls double duty on True Colors, both interpolating Lauper’s original instrumental on the beat and channeling her inspirational yet heavy-hearted tone on the mic. For more relentlessly honest and lyrical hip-hop be sure to check out Connor’s recently released Season 2 mixtape, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/31/12
Submit your Rating
All Varsity Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep Your Head" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.