I’ll admit that there was a part of me that hoped Jon Connor‘s True Colors would sample Cyndi Lauper’s ‘80s hit of the same name, and it didn’t take long for my hopes to be confirmed. Sure enough, Connor pulls double duty on True Colors, both interpolating Lauper’s original instrumental on the beat and channeling her inspirational yet heavy-hearted tone on the mic. For more relentlessly honest and lyrical hip-hop be sure to check out Connor’s recently released Season 2 mixtape, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/31/12
Submit your Rating
All Varsity Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Keep Your Head" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)