Whether in the streets, the music game or… well, anything, really, the difference between success and self-destruction often comes down to the ability to Keep Your Head when others are losing theirs. Well-prepared for the perils of the hip-hop hustle by his formative years in the urban jungle, self-proclaimed “People’s rapper” (and Booth newcomer) Jon Connor is one emcee who won’t crack under pressure, as he proves on this unreleased cut. Elite handles production duties, flipping Neil Young’s Southern Man into a uniquely fresh backdrop for the Flint, Michigan representative’s chronicles of the grind, delivered in a feverish flow that drips with determination. Between the headliner’s verses, Elite “[jumps] from behind the boards” to give listeners a sneak peek at the high-impact lyricism he’s set to showcase on his Booth-exclusive freestyle (coming later this week!): “I’m a God on the mic, boy / At least the Lord take possession of my arm when I write…” While Keep Your Head, as mentioned above, is unattached to any forthcoming project, those digging it should keep it locked for all the latest from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 02/6/11
Submit your Rating
All Varsity Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Epic (Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.