Fresh off the June 15, release of their hotly-anticipated fourth full-length, The Pursuit of Nappyness, Kentucky’s own Nappy Roots are back in the Booth to introduce us to an up-and-coming emcee and fellow Bluegrass State native by the name of Johnny Spanish. While fans of Latin hip-hop might be slightly disappointed to hear that new single Shining (Remix) finds the Louisville native and his heavyweight collaborators delivering their rhymes totalmente en inglés (well, aside from “pesos”), those with a taste for Southern street music should find it right up their alley. Backed by CHOPS’ sproingy synth-brass and bouncing percussion rhythm, the collaborators cover all the usual bases – cash, weed, cars – with wit and panache. For his part, the headliner proves more than able to keep up with Skinny, Scales & co, staking his claim on the Ky. hip-hop game and telling the haters they can “suck it” in an infectious, sung-rapped flow. If you consider this banger a Shining example of Southern rap at its best, you’ll want to keep it locked for further release details on Johnny Spanish’ The Lip LP.
Written by richard on 06/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Got' Damn Shame" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.