Fresh off the June 15, release of their hotly-anticipated fourth full-length, The Pursuit of Nappyness, Kentucky’s own Nappy Roots are back in the Booth to introduce us to an up-and-coming emcee and fellow Bluegrass State native by the name of Johnny Spanish. While fans of Latin hip-hop might be slightly disappointed to hear that new single Shining (Remix) finds the Louisville native and his heavyweight collaborators delivering their rhymes totalmente en inglés (well, aside from “pesos”), those with a taste for Southern street music should find it right up their alley. Backed by CHOPS’ sproingy synth-brass and bouncing percussion rhythm, the collaborators cover all the usual bases – cash, weed, cars – with wit and panache. For his part, the headliner proves more than able to keep up with Skinny, Scales & co, staking his claim on the Ky. hip-hop game and telling the haters they can “suck it” in an infectious, sung-rapped flow. If you consider this banger a Shining example of Southern rap at its best, you’ll want to keep it locked for further release details on Johnny Spanish’ The Lip LP.
Written by richard on 06/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Got' Damn Shame" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)