Fresh off the June 15, release of their hotly-anticipated fourth full-length, The Pursuit of Nappyness, Kentucky’s own Nappy Roots are back in the Booth to introduce us to an up-and-coming emcee and fellow Bluegrass State native by the name of Johnny Spanish. While fans of Latin hip-hop might be slightly disappointed to hear that new single Shining (Remix) finds the Louisville native and his heavyweight collaborators delivering their rhymes totalmente en inglés (well, aside from “pesos”), those with a taste for Southern street music should find it right up their alley. Backed by CHOPS’ sproingy synth-brass and bouncing percussion rhythm, the collaborators cover all the usual bases – cash, weed, cars – with wit and panache. For his part, the headliner proves more than able to keep up with Skinny, Scales & co, staking his claim on the Ky. hip-hop game and telling the haters they can “suck it” in an infectious, sung-rapped flow. If you consider this banger a Shining example of Southern rap at its best, you’ll want to keep it locked for further release details on Johnny Spanish’ The Lip LP.
Written by richard on 06/20/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Got' Damn Shame" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.