Whatever your opinion on the ever-growing Occupy movement (I think it’s rather dope, myself), you’d have to be an anosmiac not to notice the scent of revolution in the air. Unsurprisingly, the trend towards idealism and the questioning of received wisdom has begun to rub off on the rap game. Case in point: Johnny Spanish, who airs his own frustrations with the state of the world on promo single Never Be Still. A Booth-exclusive world premiere, this unreleased joint finds Ghost Beats cooking up a swirling synth instrumental to back the Kentucky native’s impassioned bars. Beginning with the declaration, “I refuse to acknowledge that this is the only path the future can follow,” the emcee proceeds to rail against injustices societal, economic and environmental. Though he realizes that making a change won’t be easy, he ends on a note of confidence: “We will never back down, we will rise as one / No army can stop an idea whose time has come.” If this defiant banger’s left you amped to speak truth to power, well, what are you waiting for? Go out and get involved! Oh, and if you haven’t already, be sure to cop Spanish and T-Razor‘s 2 the Top mixtape, available for free streaming and download in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shining (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.