Whatever your opinion on the ever-growing Occupy movement (I think it’s rather dope, myself), you’d have to be an anosmiac not to notice the scent of revolution in the air. Unsurprisingly, the trend towards idealism and the questioning of received wisdom has begun to rub off on the rap game. Case in point: Johnny Spanish, who airs his own frustrations with the state of the world on promo single Never Be Still. A Booth-exclusive world premiere, this unreleased joint finds Ghost Beats cooking up a swirling synth instrumental to back the Kentucky native’s impassioned bars. Beginning with the declaration, “I refuse to acknowledge that this is the only path the future can follow,” the emcee proceeds to rail against injustices societal, economic and environmental. Though he realizes that making a change won’t be easy, he ends on a note of confidence: “We will never back down, we will rise as one / No army can stop an idea whose time has come.” If this defiant banger’s left you amped to speak truth to power, well, what are you waiting for? Go out and get involved! Oh, and if you haven’t already, be sure to cop Spanish and T-Razor‘s 2 the Top mixtape, available for free streaming and download in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 10/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shining (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.