Whatever your opinion on the ever-growing Occupy movement (I think it’s rather dope, myself), you’d have to be an anosmiac not to notice the scent of revolution in the air. Unsurprisingly, the trend towards idealism and the questioning of received wisdom has begun to rub off on the rap game. Case in point: Johnny Spanish, who airs his own frustrations with the state of the world on promo single Never Be Still. A Booth-exclusive world premiere, this unreleased joint finds Ghost Beats cooking up a swirling synth instrumental to back the Kentucky native’s impassioned bars. Beginning with the declaration, “I refuse to acknowledge that this is the only path the future can follow,” the emcee proceeds to rail against injustices societal, economic and environmental. Though he realizes that making a change won’t be easy, he ends on a note of confidence: “We will never back down, we will rise as one / No army can stop an idea whose time has come.” If this defiant banger’s left you amped to speak truth to power, well, what are you waiting for? Go out and get involved! Oh, and if you haven’t already, be sure to cop Spanish and T-Razor‘s 2 the Top mixtape, available for free streaming and download in The DJBooth.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shining (Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.