Those who tuned in for the Kentucky buzzmaker’s previous Booth features, Got’ Damn Shame and Shining (Remix), know that Johnny Spanish is fly, but just how fly is he? As the up-and-comer puts it on his latest promo single, he’s “floatin’ Up in the Clouds. Though using altitude as a metaphor for style, skills and/or status is nothing new, Español keeps things as fresh as… well, I would have said “fresh produce,” if it weren’t for the fact that the beat, centered around an oddly-familiar pizzicato string sample, is actually by Fresh Prodeuce. The headliner does his part to keep listeners on their toes, hitting every point in the singing/sing-rapping/rapping continuum and dropping plenty of braggadocious quotables in the process: “I was raised in a lion’s den / take my sword, cut the head off Leviathan…” This joint isn’t attached to any project at the moment, but fans fiending for more Johnny Spanish may want to consider booking a flight to NYC for this Thursday’s Booth-sponsored Are You Listening? showcase, featuring Español and many more of today’s hottest up-and-comers.
Written by richard on 10/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shining (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.