Johnny Rain‘s Lullaby of Machine street album, released in February via The DJBooth, found the singer/songwriter and beatsmith combining the brooding vibes of contemporary alt-R&B with electronic influences to forge a style he calls “avant-electro.” Though his approach was unconventional, its results were Stellar, as evidenced by the rave reader reviews that greeted the set’s release. That adjective also happens to apply to his latest feature, a promo single currently unattached to any larger project. As always, Rain handles both vocal and production duties; over his own moody, understated acoustic-guitar backdrop, he serenades a woman in his life, celebrating her myriad charms even as he laments her frustrating complexities. Is Stellar as fresh as its lofty title suggests? If you’re leaning toward the affirmative, then you can keep it locked to our front page for further news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 07/31/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.