Johnny Rain‘s Lullaby of Machine street album, released in February via The DJBooth, found the singer/songwriter and beatsmith combining the brooding vibes of contemporary alt-R&B with electronic influences to forge a style he calls “avant-electro.” Though his approach was unconventional, its results were Stellar, as evidenced by the rave reader reviews that greeted the set’s release. That adjective also happens to apply to his latest feature, a promo single currently unattached to any larger project. As always, Rain handles both vocal and production duties; over his own moody, understated acoustic-guitar backdrop, he serenades a woman in his life, celebrating her myriad charms even as he laments her frustrating complexities. Is Stellar as fresh as its lofty title suggests? If you’re leaning toward the affirmative, then you can keep it locked to our front page for further news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 07/31/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.