Johnny Rain‘s Lullaby of Machine street album, released in February via The DJBooth, found the singer/songwriter and beatsmith combining the brooding vibes of contemporary alt-R&B with electronic influences to forge a style he calls “avant-electro.” Though his approach was unconventional, its results were Stellar, as evidenced by the rave reader reviews that greeted the set’s release. That adjective also happens to apply to his latest feature, a promo single currently unattached to any larger project. As always, Rain handles both vocal and production duties; over his own moody, understated acoustic-guitar backdrop, he serenades a woman in his life, celebrating her myriad charms even as he laments her frustrating complexities. Is Stellar as fresh as its lofty title suggests? If you’re leaning toward the affirmative, then you can keep it locked to our front page for further news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 07/31/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.