Johnny Rain‘s Lullaby of Machine street album, released in February via The DJBooth, found the singer/songwriter and beatsmith combining the brooding vibes of contemporary alt-R&B with electronic influences to forge a style he calls “avant-electro.” Though his approach was unconventional, its results were Stellar, as evidenced by the rave reader reviews that greeted the set’s release. That adjective also happens to apply to his latest feature, a promo single currently unattached to any larger project. As always, Rain handles both vocal and production duties; over his own moody, understated acoustic-guitar backdrop, he serenades a woman in his life, celebrating her myriad charms even as he laments her frustrating complexities. Is Stellar as fresh as its lofty title suggests? If you’re leaning toward the affirmative, then you can keep it locked to our front page for further news and tunes from this talented up-and-comer.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.