However adept the individuals involved may be at keeping up appearances, breakups have a tendency to leave behind ugly psychological scars. Booth newcomer Johnny Rain, for one, isn’t about to sanitize his feelings for public consumption; on debut single LLWH (Before you ask, I have no idea what that stands for), the singer/songwriter/producer unleashes his sorrow and anger in their purest form, showcasing his powerful vocal presence as he delivers lines considerably rawer than your usual R&B fare: “F**k you think this is? / Look what you did to me, you f**king piece of sh*t.” And yes, he manages to make that sound soulful. Rain crafts a moody instrumental to match the subject matter, recruiting guitarist Johnny Hands for the climactic solo, and director Tishaun Dawson ties the package together with some haunting, avant-garde visuals. Freshman set L.O.M. (Lullaby of Machine) as yet lacks a drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for all the latest.
Written by richard on 09/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mulholland Drive, My Abyss" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.