However adept the individuals involved may be at keeping up appearances, breakups have a tendency to leave behind ugly psychological scars. Booth newcomer Johnny Rain, for one, isn’t about to sanitize his feelings for public consumption; on debut single LLWH (Before you ask, I have no idea what that stands for), the singer/songwriter/producer unleashes his sorrow and anger in their purest form, showcasing his powerful vocal presence as he delivers lines considerably rawer than your usual R&B fare: “F**k you think this is? / Look what you did to me, you f**king piece of sh*t.” And yes, he manages to make that sound soulful. Rain crafts a moody instrumental to match the subject matter, recruiting guitarist Johnny Hands for the climactic solo, and director Tishaun Dawson ties the package together with some haunting, avant-garde visuals. Freshman set L.O.M. (Lullaby of Machine) as yet lacks a drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for all the latest.
Written by richard on 09/17/12
Thanks in part to artists like Frank Ocean and The Weeknd, modern day R&B has a brand new sound and style. Just ask singer/songwriter/producer Johnny Rain, whose brand new work is described by the artist himself as...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mulholland Drive, My Abyss" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.