However adept the individuals involved may be at keeping up appearances, breakups have a tendency to leave behind ugly psychological scars. Booth newcomer Johnny Rain, for one, isn’t about to sanitize his feelings for public consumption; on debut single LLWH (Before you ask, I have no idea what that stands for), the singer/songwriter/producer unleashes his sorrow and anger in their purest form, showcasing his powerful vocal presence as he delivers lines considerably rawer than your usual R&B fare: “F**k you think this is? / Look what you did to me, you f**king piece of sh*t.” And yes, he manages to make that sound soulful. Rain crafts a moody instrumental to match the subject matter, recruiting guitarist Johnny Hands for the climactic solo, and director Tishaun Dawson ties the package together with some haunting, avant-garde visuals. Freshman set L.O.M. (Lullaby of Machine) as yet lacks a drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for all the latest.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mulholland Drive, My Abyss" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.