However adept the individuals involved may be at keeping up appearances, breakups have a tendency to leave behind ugly psychological scars. Booth newcomer Johnny Rain, for one, isn’t about to sanitize his feelings for public consumption; on debut single LLWH (Before you ask, I have no idea what that stands for), the singer/songwriter/producer unleashes his sorrow and anger in their purest form, showcasing his powerful vocal presence as he delivers lines considerably rawer than your usual R&B fare: “F**k you think this is? / Look what you did to me, you f**king piece of sh*t.” And yes, he manages to make that sound soulful. Rain crafts a moody instrumental to match the subject matter, recruiting guitarist Johnny Hands for the climactic solo, and director Tishaun Dawson ties the package together with some haunting, avant-garde visuals. Freshman set L.O.M. (Lullaby of Machine) as yet lacks a drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for all the latest.
Written by richard on 09/17/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Mulholland Drive, My Abyss" (2013)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.